- "No one can steal an entire city!"
"For once, you're right, Gadget. You can't steal an entire city. But you can remove it one piece at a time!"
- ―Gadget and Dr. Claw
|All That Glitters|
|Season 1, Episode 12|
|Air date|| September 26, 1983 (US)|
June 20, 1985 (UK)
"A Star is Lost"
"All That Glitters" is the 12th episode of the first season of Inspector Gadget.
While enjoying a mariachi band performing downtown, Inspector Gadget is assigned to South America where, deep in the jungles of Peru, he is to guard a recently-discovered city of gold from the clutches of Dr. Claw. Worried that her uncle may be in over his head, Penny and Brain tag along.
Once in Peru, Gadget hitches a ride down a river in an old boat with an English archaeologist who, unbeknownst to Gadget, is working for Claw. The archaeologist's attempt on Gadget's life backfires and the inspector ends up saving his life instead. Finally arriving at the new-found city, Gadget sets up camp, the archaeologist goes about his other business for the time being, and Penny starts investigating. She's startled at what she finds inside the main pyramid: M.A.D. is replacing the gold bricks of the city with painted Styrofoam blocks, crushing the gold into dust, and smuggling it out as sugar. Things get further complicated when outside, a busload of tourists arrive. Gadget has his hands full trying to prevent these lookie-loos from setting off any of his booby-traps, which is nothing compared to what Claw is demanding of his harried archaeologist: Get rid of Gadget, stop his niece from snooping around, and continue with the smuggling operation.
While Penny is looking up the meanings of some symbols on a block of "gold" (which is, in fact, iron pyrite, or fool's gold, as she uncovers later) on her computer book, the archaeologist then grabs her, and almost throws her off a cliff, but ties her up afterward after Penny tells him that there are people below. Brain then finds Penny and rescues her. Penny then calls the local authorities ― who arrive and congratulate Gadget for foiling Claw's plan ― but she's not done yet. With Brain's help, Penny triggers a mechanism that sends the fake city of gold crumbling to dust as the real city of gold breathtakingly rises up in its place.
The end of the episode has Gadget, Penny and Brain finally enjoying a vacation in Peru while giving some tips on how to have a fun but safe vacation, including being prepared, such as Brain bringing along a box of matches after Gadget's finger laser fails to operate while trying to light a campfire.
- This is the only episode where Chief Quimby doesn't talk.
- The shot of Dr. Claw's castle with lightning flashing outside is recycled from "Haunted Castle".
- Penny acknowledges on her computer book that crocodiles "go only as far south as Colombia and Ecuador; they don't live in Peru". However, their relative the black caiman does live in Peru, and at 9 feet 2.1875 in. long and at 132.25 lbs (60 km), it rivals crocodiles in size.
- Penny discovers that the symbols on the fool's gold form the message, "Bird of day and bird of night will bow to the true City of Gold". The sculpted "bird of the day" is a toucan and the "bird of night" is a bat; however, bats are mammals. It would have been more fitting to use an oilbird, or guacharo, as the bird of night.
- This is the only episode where Dr. Claw gets told off by an agent of his.